In our day-to-day lives, we can get caught up in work, responsibilities, and everyday stress. A big challenge for many people is knowing how to slow down, pay attention to our health, and practice good self-care.
When we experience stress or fatigue, it can be a signal that we need to create some space for self-care activities to restore our health and well-being. If we don't practice the self-care we need, we may find ourselves on the verge of mental, emotional, or spiritual burnout.
Self-care is simple, but it is not easy. It takes us choosing to intentionally make self-care and our own well-being a priority. But if we practice rhythms of self-care, we will be more able to live a sustainable, healthy life.
I have compiled a list of 20 simple self-care activities that you can do. Do some of these self-care activities this week, and let them refresh and restore you.
1. Simplify your schedule. Are you over-committed? Ask yourself which activities are truly adding value to your life, and thoughtfully make space for those things.
2. Do something that energizes your body. Stretch, swim, run, do yoga, or whatever physical activity you enjoy.
3. Take a long, warm bath. While you're at it, light a candle, read a magazine, listen to soothing music.
4. Create a Gratitude List. Write down all the things that you're thankful for.
5. Get a massage. Enjoy it.
6. Unplug for a day. Go on a media and tech fast, and turn off the electronic devices.
7. Stretch. Find the kinks and tension spots in you body, and stretch them out.
8. Do something new. Have you been considering learning a new skill or trying a new hobby? Go for it.
9. Practice mini-meditation. Begin or end your day with a minute of deep breathing, and focused awareness of your body, thoughts, and feelings.
10. Dance it out. Put on your favorite dance music, and shake your body.
11. Write or journal your thoughts. Take 10 minutes, and jot down whatever is on your mind. Mentally release those things as you write. Here are 6 Simple Questions For Self-Reflection.
12. Get quality time with a quality person. Hang out with someone who you love. If they're far away, give them a phone call.
13. Be still. Find a quiet place outside, and embrace the stillness.
14. Practice a full day of Sabbath rest. Take a full day to rest and rejuvenate.
15. De-clutter. Choose a place - your email inbox, your desk, a closet - and get rid of the excess and junk.
16. Do an activity mindfully and slowly. Savor the moment, and experience your activity with attentiveness.
17. Take a walk. Explore your area at a leisurely pace.
18. Reflect on your personal mission statement. If you don't have a personal mission statement, create one.
19. Enjoy a piece of chocolate or a glass of wine. Better yet, enjoy both together.
20. Sleep. Take a nap, go to bed earlier, give your body some extra rest.
What is one thing you can do today to practice self-care? How do you generally make space for self-care in your daily life? Share in the comments.
For further reading, check out these related posts:
How to Use the Wheel of Life For Personal Growth
10 Practical Ideas For Your Spiritual Growth
If you are looking for guidance for your spiritual health and growth, read here about how I can work with you as a spiritual director.
Sign up to receive my Weekly Notes in your inbox!